Friday, January 31, 2014

Day 64: 5.0 miles

5.0 miles. 49:33. 9:55 pace.

(January 30, 2014)

I'm going to start this post with the positives of this run.

During this run, I hit 100 miles for the month of January.  Last month I squeeked out 89.6 miles.  The highest mileage month prior to this streak was around 50 miles.  Yay!!!! Go me!!!!

Nike+ appreciates my efforts.
That is probably the only positive I can come up with.

This run was downright terrible.

What was supposed to be a 5 mile tempo run turned into a complete disaster before mile 2 was even over.  I had to STOP the run and give myself a pep talk to continue TWICE.  The last half mile was so bad, I'm surprised I'm still around to tell the tale.

I felt heavy.  I felt clumsy.  I kept having to adjust my bra... and this was the one that is the smallest and fits the best.

I haven't bonked this bad on a run this short in... a long ass time-if ever.

I'm not really sure even what the problem was.  I have a couple of theories of course:

When I got home from work, there was a Papa Murphy's pizza on the stove that Karl and the littles had just made.  Of course I grabbed a couple of squares. (I don't like eating right before I run)

I wasn't as watchful about my fluid intake during the day.

Perhaps I hadn't eaten enough earlier in the day?

My monthly visitor made her presence known.

Perhaps it was a little bit of all of the above.  The funny thing about my little monthly visitor is that it kind of took me by surprise.  Normally the week before it arrives I'm a bottomless pit.  I'm hungry ALL OF THE TIME.  Last week... I had a lot of problems with my lack of appetite. 

I felt sick after this run.  Not nauseated, but my stomach really hurt.  And I was, ahem, kinda gassy.

I should be super excited for hitting that 100 mile achievement.  But the crappiness of this run has just totally overshadowed it.

I'm going to have to back off on the paces for the next few runs.  I have a sneaking suspician that I'm sticking my toes in the overtraining pool.  I've got to keep myself from falling in.

I'm more than likely going to alter my time goal for the Get Lucky half marathon.  As long as I beat my last half time of 2:12:13, I'll be a happy camper.

You need the bad runs in order to know when you're having a good run.





No comments:

Post a Comment