Saturday, December 14, 2013

Day 17: 4.0 miles

Today I did a little experiment. Yesterday I downloaded the Nike+ app on my iPhone. It has an option on it where it will record your distance and speed just by using the accelerometer in the phone. Despite reviews claiming its accuracy, I had my doubts. For one thing, I have a short, quick stride, and land on the ball of my feet. I would assume that it would think I was running faster than someone with a longer stride that tends to land on their heels. On the flip side, I read somewhere yesterday that people with short, quick strides tend to somehow outrun the treadmill, so in essence they are running faster than the treadmill states because their feet are on the belt for such a short period of time.

I'm not sure if any of that is true, I just found it interesting. In my experience, with my treadmill, I feel like I'm putting in a lot more effort to run at the same pace I would outdoors. Looking at my streak stats it wouldn't seem like that'd be so, as my two outdoor runs are significantly slower than my treadmill runs. I attribute that to being the first runs after a 2 month hiatus... And not bein used to running in 10 degree weather, on a snowy/icy surface, and wearing 50 pounds of clothing.  It's supposed to be warmer on Monday so I'm hoping to get in another outdoor run. 

Back to the experiment... I wanted to see how different the treadmill and Nike+ app would be, if at all. I ran for 4 miles (according to the treadmill) between 5.6 and 6.0 mph. I finished in 41:36.

The Nike+ app, however, said I ran 4.5 miles in 41:13 (I didn't start the app until the treadmill was up to speed. I also stopped the run at 1 mile to use the ladies room so that's why there's a time discrepancy).


I really think the truth lies somewhere in between those two. Prior to my stress fracture, I was frequently doing my shorter runs at about a 9:00 average pace, so I know that the 9:09 pace is possible... I just have a hard time believing that I could achieve those times again with only 2.5 weeks of training after essentially 3 months off.

That outdoor run I'm planning on Monday? I'm going to test the Nike+ app (using the indoor function) against the Garmin. Can't wait! I love stats and numbers.

My hip was really bugging me after the run (again) so I spent some time on the foam roller. I think I've finally isolated the trouble spot. 

Apparently Mercedes has some trouble spots too:


It's a little hard to see, but she's got the foam roller under her side. Future Olympian, that girl. She loves to run fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment