Sunday, February 2, 2014

Day 66 (2/1): 3.5 miles

3.5 miles. 38:15. 10:56 pace.

So…. I was supposed to run 6 miles today.  I even thought my legs felt pretty good when I went downstairs to run.  I was wrong.  My quads are toast.  My brain didn't want to run either.

It didn't help that the sun was shining so brightly into the window above the treadmill (I really need to cover that thing up).  Earlier in the day I looked outside and was thinking with the sun shining so brightly that it must be warm enough to run outside.  Nope.  I was wrong.  It was 11 degrees… but a "feels like" temp of -5.  No thanks.  Too windy.

I've stopped checking the weather for what the forecast will be.  It's too depressing.  Never a warmup.  Always more of the same.  This winter will never end.  There will still be snow on the ground on the Fourth of July.

Seriously.

So anyway… back the the run.  I put on an episode of Sherlock to watch.  Not even that could hold my attention.  The nearly 11 minute pace felt really hard in that my legs just felt like dead weights and didn't want to move.  It's definitely harder for me to run at these slower paces on the treadmill because my form is different.  Outside it's easy to shuffle at a slow pace.  On the treadmill I just can't.  The slow paces make me feel like my form is exaggerated.  I feel like I 'clomp' down more too.  I don't know, I can't really explain it.

At 3.5 miles I threw in the towel.  I figured I would just go down later and finish the last 2.5 miles.  The couch was occupied so I just laid in bed for like an hour.  I damn near took a nap, and if you know anything about me… I don't do naps.  

I realize that the Hanson's say that I'm supposed to feel this way… that cumulative fatigue is beneficial come race day.  But this is a kind of fatigue that is making me dread my runs.


At least I didn't spend the 3.5 miles adjusting my bra the whole time.  Because I wore three.  Two of them belonged to my 12 year old daughter.  So um… yeah.  I still did a little bit but it wasn't as bad as it has been.

I've been craving a wrap lately like nobody's business.  So I made one yesterday for lunch:


That is quinoa, spinach, carrot, zucchini, salt, pepper, and garden vegetable cream cheese on a tortilla.  It's delish.

Last night, since I didn't go back and finish my run, I did just a wee bit of strength training to my upper body.  I managed 24 (girlie style) pushups and a 1 minute plank.  Seems I have some work to do…. 


Tomorrow's run is supposed to be 10 miles.  The thought of running this distance on a wonky treadmill in a dusty basement kind of makes me want to set myself on fire.  In all likelihood it will be another short distance day.






1 comment:

  1. Gah, good luck tomorrow (or I guess... yesterday? today?) 10 miles is a beast!

    ReplyDelete